According to the data below, we can speak of both the growing market share of the furniture industry and the risks of this growth. One of the most important risks of the sector is the conception of wielding trade for customer fraud, especially through e-commerce. The "certificates" and "Turquality" information, which are among the data provided by Turkish Furniture about the companies, also determine the reliability of the companies and give the necessary clues to people who want to purchase furniture.
Furniture Industry's Place in Import and Export Trade:
Including All Industries (as of 2019):
World export commodity groups (all three have an annual export volume of over $2 trillion):
- China: 2,5 trillion dollars with 13,4% market share
- US: 1,64 trillion dollars with 8,8% market share
- Germany: 1,48 trillion dollars with 7,9% market share
The furniture industry ranks 13th in the world export ranking with an export size of approximately 260 billion USD.
Export amounts specific to the Furniture Sector:
- Electrical machinery and equipment
- Machines and components, including nuclear reactors
- Mineral fuels.
World leader in furniture imports:
- China: 30 billion dollars
- Germany: 16,52 billion dollars
- US: 10,2 billion dollars
2,56 trillion dollars with 13,5% market share (Market share distribution in US imports: 18.4% China, 14.1% Mexico and 12.7% Canada)
- The history of the Turkish furniture industry goes back to the 19th century.
- The industry, which started industrial production in the 1970s, has a production value of 33.5 billion TRY as of 2018.
- The furniture sector, which used to be labor-intensive in the past, is today a capital-intensive and technology-intensive production area.
- It has a share of 4% in Turkey's general manufacturing industry.
- Although it does not have an important place in the sector, the number of operating companies with foreign capital is increasing, especially in kitchen furniture. The retail stores that IKEA opened and will open in Istanbul, Izmir, Bursa and Ankara also has brought dynamism to the sector.
- Important regions in furniture production are İstanbul, Ankara, Bursa (İnegöl), Kayseri, İzmir and Adana in order of their ranks.
- The two most important centers in the furniture industry in Istanbul are Masko, located in the İkitelli Organized Industrial Zone and Modoko, furniture industry site in Ümraniye.
- Ankara is known with its Siteler district in furniture production. Siteler is a large organized industrial zone with over 10,000 companies operating on 5,000 decares of land. However, these enterprises are labor-intensive, and the number of companies engaged in large-scale production is low.
- Bursa-İnegöl Region, which has large forest areas and consequently the wood industry has developed rapidly, is a region with high development dynamics.
- The emergence of the furniture industry in Kayseri started with sofa, armchair and bed. With technological developments and new investments, it has become an important furniture center with its companies producing in every branch of furniture.
- Karabağlar and Kısıkköy in İzmir are the places where the sector is concentrated, and the city is in significant breakthroughs in export with its port and ease of transportation.
- The sector's export In 2019 are $ 2.5 billion. (22% increase)
- Iraq, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Germany, USA and Israel are the most important markets.